When you purchase home equipment and supplies, do you ever stop to wonder if the products freely-supplied on the store's shelves are safe for use around your children? Don't be too trusting. There are many “safe” products which could cause damage to you or your family.
You hope companies are selling you products which they have proven to be safe. Yet, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalls products daily throughout the United States.
Are common household products safe to use around your children?
From harmful bacteria on vegetables to electrical hazards, your home may be full of things you don't even realize could be harmful to you and your family. In 2018, recalls varied from motorized vehicles to buckets, with a wide range of hazards involved.
Below are 5 recalled products with potential liability or product safety issues in 2018:
- Lifetone HL – this is an alarm clock and fire alarm combination, advertised “to protect your loved ones.” The number of units recalled was roughly 10,000, due to failure to operate.
- Fantasia slap bracelets – these soft, fuzzy children's accessories, with sharp edges easily exposed, posed laceration injuries. The number of units recalled was around 22,500.
- Boy Scouts of America neckerchief slides – about 110,000 recalls ensued due to lead content above federally-approved levels.
- Sandoz and Novartis prescription drug blister packages – with some “bubble packs” containing antipsychotics used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, recalls included about 470,000 units which were not child-resistant.
- Flushmate II 501-B – these toilet flushing systems may release pressure, sometimes shattering the tank, thereby posing a variety of laceration risks, in addition to flooding. Around 1.4 million flushing systems were recalled.
When it comes to potential personal injuries and property damage caused by a product in your home, you may not be aware of the possibilities. Virtually any product could cause damage. You may want to remain aware of product recalls and how your purchases are used in your home.